5GCity: A Distributed Cloud & Radio Platform for 5G Neutral Host
|Dates||1 June 2017 - 31 March 2020|
|Contact person||Dr Carlos Colman Meixner|
The main goal of 5GCity is to maximise the investment return for the digital market chain i.e. citizens, innovative small and medium enterprises (SME), industry vertical (medica companies), telecom & service providers, and municipalities.
- To build, deploy and demonstrate a city-wide open and multi-tenant platform in the cities of Bristol (UK), Barcelona (Spain) and Lucca (Italy).
- The proposed platform will extend the centralised cloud model to the extreme edge of the network to enhance the state-of-the-art by solving some main technical and research challenges in the 5G-based edge virtualisation domain, e.g. neutral host perspective, and city-wide dense deployments for media industry and city services.
- To demonstrate and study the impact of the resulted platform (3 groups of use cases will be designed and deployed in a city-wide infrastructure).
The real strength of 5GCity (in terms of real-world impact) lies in the envisioned deployment of its 5G-based edge platform in real Smart City infrastructures by running realistic use cases for neutral host, media industry, and for unauthorised wasted dumping prevention. This is foreseen as a concrete first step towards 5G trials with 3 additonal impacts for the industry:
- Creation of open environments for new network apps
- Creation of an open repository for apps that may be validated and leveraged by 3rd party developers
- Validation of virtualised network functions capability of the proposed environment.