Bristol Composites Institute celebrates July 2023 graduates
3 August 2023
The Bristol Composites Institute celebrates the success of its recent graduates.
The Bristol Composites Institute, EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) in Advanced Composites for Innovation and Science and the Industrial Doctorate Centre (IDC) in Composites Manufacture celebrate the success of their recent graduates.
Bristol Composites Institute celebrated 7 graduates at the recent graduation ceremony, which took place on Monday 31 July. Academic supervisors and family members watched as the students were conferred their degrees in the ceremony held in the Wills Memorial Building. After the ceremony, graduates were invited to celebrate with the wider BCI in Queen’s Building. This was an opportunity for the BCI Directors to congratulate the graduates personally. Professor Ian Hamerton presented each graduate with a BCI branded Bristol Blue Glass paperweight.
In alphabetical order, the list of PhD graduates is provided below:
Student name: Nikita Budwal (IDC)
- Thesis title: Developing design and manufacturing capability towards cost-effective textile reinforced and complex geometry composite structures
Student name: Olivia Leao Carvalho (CDT)
- Thesis title: Conceptual design and tailoring of nonlinear structures through geometric modification
Student name: Philip Peter Jessel Druiff (IDC)
- Thesis title: Automated Deposition Process Development and Optimisation
Student name: Claudia Jimenez Martin (IDC)
- Thesis title: A study of the pyramid of testing for forming of Non-Crimp Fabric Aerostructures
Student name: Josh Loughton (IDC)
- Thesis title: Design for Manufacture of High Volume Carbon Fibre Composites for Automotive
Student name: Maria Onoufriou (IDC)
- Thesis title: A numerical study on process-induced defects and variability in thick tapered laminates
Student name: Owen Taylor (IDC)
- Thesis title: Design for Manufacture of High Integrity Low Volume Aerospace Components
The CoSEM CDT (established in 2019) has evolved from the highly successful and established ACCIS CDT (2014-2024) to address exciting doctoral training opportunities for multidisciplinary composite materials engineering and manufacture.