Handbook (taught programmes)

This handbook is aimed at undergraduate (BEng, MEng and BSc) and postgraduate taught (MSc) students on programmes owned by the Faculty of Engineering. It is also aimed at students on Engineering CDT programmes during the taught stage of your programme. Sections of this handbook will also be relevant for students from non-Engineering programmes who are taking taught units within the Faculty of Engineering, and you should also refer to handbooks and other information provided within your faculty.  

This Handbook contains important information about how we deliver education within the Faculty of Engineering and it is strongly recommended that you read it, as it may help you to avoid difficulties later on.  

This is the 2022/23 Handbook and does not commit the University in respect of subsequent sessions. Please read and bookmark this handbook and refer to it throughout your studies. This handbook is updated in August each year.  

This handbook should also be read in conjunction with:

Checklist of student responsibilities

The Faculty is committed to supporting your studies. As a student, it is your responsibility to call upon this support by completing all of the following actions:
  1. Let us know if something goes wrong
    • Please tell us if you are worried about your studies.  It is difficult for us to help you if we do not know you are having difficulties before things go badly wrong - see Where to seek help (ADD LINK TO SECTION)
  2. Check your University emails regularly (as required by the Student Agreement you made with the University when you registered)
  3. Keep your contact details up to date in StudentInfo
  4. Note term dates and the assessment periods (including the reassessment period in August/September)
  5. Register with a local doctor to ensure you can access medical help in Bristol swiftly. The University has a Student Health Service which provides care for all students (including overseas student visa holders) via the National Health Service (NHS).
  6. Familiarise yourself with the concept of academic misconduct

>Back to contents

Where to seek help

If you need to contact staff in the Faculty of Engineering, the Contacts page is a useful place to start.  
If you know the name of the person you need to contact, the University’s Contact Directory provides their email address and, if available, a telephone number.  

Academic Matters

If you experience difficulties with your study, then it is important to tell us about them as soon as possible. 
If your difficulties relate to academic matters, then please bring these to the attention of your Personal Tutor or the member of staff who is teaching the unit.  If this is not suitable, then the Programme Director or Head of Department might be approached. 
Who does what: 



Personal Tutors 

You will be assigned a Personal Tutor when you arrive at the University and you may seek advice from your tutor on both academic and personal matters.  

It is important that you keep your Personal Tutor informed if, for any reason, you fall behind in your work or you are experiencing medical, personal or other problems. The sooner they are informed, the easier it is for the Personal Tutor to ensure that this information is taken into account.   

Programme Directors 

Responsible for the organisation and delivery of a programme.  They also deal with feedback and complaints from students on the programme, conducts the school responsibilities for disciplinary cases, and advises the Faculty on appeals.  

Unit Directors 

Responsible for the organisation and delivery of each unitIf you have missed a compulsory activity or assessment, or may have difficulty attending one of these, then you must contact the unit director and determine a way forward.  It is not the responsibility of any teaching staff to contact you.   

Senior Tutors 

Senior Tutors are academics who support Personal Tutors. They are knowledgeable about alternative sources of support.  If you have issues that may significantly affect your studies, we may ask you to see a Senior Tutor. 

Exams Officer 

Responsible for organising and coordinating the school’s assessment processes, from the preparation of examination papers provided by internal examiners to the accurate recording of assessment marks and their presentation to the School and Faculty Boards of Examiners.  

School Office and Faculty Office

Any general questions about teaching and assessment should be directed to the administrators in your School Office – find their contact details on the Schools pages This may include:
  • Blackboard queries
  • Assessment arrangements - submitting your work
  • Teaching arrangements (e.g. timetables or unit choices)
  • Transfers, withdrawals, suspensions
  • Coursework extensions
  • Wellbeing issues  
The Faculty Education Team within the Faculty Office can help with questions about:
  • Student documents, including
  • Transcripts
  • UCard access
  • Tuition fees
  • CAS numbers (for postgraduate and returning undergraduate students only) 

Visit the current students website to create or request a: 

Support outside the Faculty

Information about mental health and wellbeing services can be found online. This includes:
  • Student Wellbeing Service
  • Residential Life
  • Student Counselling Service
  • Disability Services
  • Sexual Violence Liaison Officers 
Bullying, harassment, sexual harassment, assault or discrimination can be reported (either anonymously or to request help) via Report and Support.   
Student Finances offers information about tuition fees and support if you are experiencing financial difficulties. 
The Bristol SU provides advice and support about academic matters and wellbeing.    

Finding your way around campus

The main buildings used by the Faculty of Engineering are:
  • Queens
  • Merchant Venturers
  • Ada Lovelace  
Your teaching and assessment may take place anywhere on the University precinct, and maps are available online to help you find your way around. 

>Back to contents

About your programme

Programme Requirements

All students in the University are registered on a programme of study within the University, which lead on to the award of a degree. You must follow the programme structure (as defined in the Programme Cataloguefor your programme and year of study in order to obtain the required number of credits.  The Programme Catalogue specifies the progression and award requirements that you are expected to meet, and any available exit awards.  
Students are not permitted to study units outside their programme of study, except:
  • academic English units offered by the Centre for Academic Language and Development
  • where additional units are required by visa restrictions (in the case of undergraduate supplementary year students only) 

Unit choices

If your current programme and year of study includes optional units, you will be expected to confirm your option choices at the beginning of each academic year. Once students have confirmed their option choices, they cannot make changes to these unless there is an exceptional reason and with the consent of the Programme Director only.  

>Back to contents

Change of Circumstances

Procedure for transferring to a different Programme

You usually need to request to transfer programme before the second week of teaching in TB1. Undergraduates may also request to transfer after their first year of study. We advised that you discuss any transfers with your Personal tutor or supervisor. 
You would not be able to transfer if you do not meet the entry requirements for the new course, or the new course is full. 
 Transferring course can also affect your funding and the tuition fees for the new course could be different. If you are an international student there may also be visa implications. You should get advice from the Student Funding Office and the Student Visa Services before requesting a transfer. 
Transfers will need to be approved by both School and Faculty. For details on the full procedure for transferring course please see the University web page Transfer to a different course or programme. 
You may also find the Bristol SU advice on changing course helpful. 

Procedure for withdrawal

Changes in your personal circumstances or doubts about your course may mean you are considering leaving the University. There are lots of teams in the University to help you make this decision. Firstly, we suggest that you discuss this with your Personal tutor or supervisor. You could also speak to our Wellbeing advisers or Careers service. 
You should also consider the implications of leaving the University, including: 
Tuition fees and funding. Speak to the Student Funding Office. You should also look at the University’s advice on the financial considerations of suspending or withdrawing. 
Your visa.  If you are an international student your immigration status may be impacted by withdrawing. You must speak to the Student Visa Services before deciding to withdraw. 
Accommodation. You will not be able to remain in University accommodation and if you are in private rented accommodation you may not be able to leave your tenancy agreement. You will also need to start paying Council tax when you are no longer a student. 
For further advice on these implications and the full procedure for leaving the University please see Withdraw from your studies. 

Procedure for Suspension of Study/Leave of Absence

If you require a break in your studies, you can request a period of ‘suspension’. Suspension is a formal pause in your studies of up to 12 months where you are not required to engage in your course. You will not be considered a ‘student’ in this period. You can request to suspend for longer, but this will need to be approved by your School. 
We advise that you discuss any periods of suspension with your Personal tutor or supervisor. You may also want to get advice or support from a Wellbeing adviser or Careers service before making any decisions. Suspension is not an automatic right and will only be approved on good grounds and supporting evidence (see 8: Suspension of studies in the Regulations and Code of Practice of Taught Programmes) 
Tuition fees and funding. Speak to the Student Funding Office. You should also look at the University’s advice on the financial considerations of suspending or withdrawing. 
Your visa.  If you are an international student, your immigration status may be impacted by suspending. You must speak to the Student Visa Services before deciding to suspend. 
Accommodation. You will not be able to remain in University accommodation while you are suspended. If you are in private rented accommodation, you may not be able to leave your tenancy agreement. You will also need to start paying Council tax when you are no longer a student. 
For further advice on these implications and the full procedure for leaving the University please see Suspend your studies. 
You may also find the Bristol SU advice on suspending your studies helpful. 

>Back to contents

Attendance & Engagement


All students are required to maintain a good level of engagement with their programme of study, as set out in the Student Agreement and the University Policy for Student Engagement and AttendanceThis includes attendance at scheduled classes, completion of assessed work, and responding to communications from the University in a timely manner.  
Please note that attendance is compulsory in laboratory classes.  An attendance record is kept, and absence without a good reason will incur a penalty associated with any assessment linked to the laboratory class, such as the deduction of marks.  Some laboratories or other activities may be "must pass" meaning that you must attend them in order to gain the credit for the unit. If you are absent from a laboratory class, it is your responsibility to contact the Unit Director and agree arrangements to cover your absence.  
If you experience persistent problems which affect your ability to attend class, you must speak to your personal tutor to seek advice about what to do next.  
Students whose pattern of attendance causes concern will be contacted by the School Office to encourage them to engage fully with their programme, and wellbeing support will be offered where necessary. Persistent non-engagement or sporadic attendance may result in withdrawal from your programme of study.  
International students holding a Student Visa are required to remain engaged with their programme of study, as a condition of the University’s sponsorship of your visa.  Information about the requirements for engagement in and support during your studies can be found on the Student Visa Advice Service’s essential information.

>Back to contents

Faculty Workload Statement

Your programme’s entry on the Programme Catalogue includes a link to your programme specification. This information includes the Faculty Workload Statement and the Assessment Statement. These resources are provided to assist students in managing the competing demands of timetabled teachingindependent study, and preparation for and completion of assessed work. Good time management is an essential skill to enable academic success on your programme of study, and is something that employers will expect you to have developed through completing a degree at the University of Bristol 
Information for all Engineering programmes is available on the Programme CatalogueNavigate to your programme of study, and select Specification from the menu on the right-hand side of the screen – the Faculty Workload Statement and Assessment Statement are found under Other Information.

>Back to contents

Conduct of assessment

Information about assessment and exam arrangements for 2021/22 can be found on the University website.
The University provides a framework for the return of feedback to students on their work. If you have any questions about feedback, please approach the unit director in the first instance.  

Assessment Dates

The University publishes dates in advance, including the dates of assessment periods. Students are expected to ensure that they do not make plans which would prevent them from engaging in assessment. If you miss or fail an assessment during the January assessment period or the summer assessment period, it is likely that you will be required to undertake work during the reassessment period. Assessments cannot be rescheduled to accommodate individual student circumstances.   

Marking Criteria and Scales

Information on marking criteria and scales is available in Section 14 of the Regulations and Code of Practice for Taught Programmes. 

Passing unites

To pass a unit and gain its credit you need an overall assessment mark greater than the minimum pass mark (40% in undergraduate units, 50% for level 7 or M, units).   Please also see the further information on processing and recording of marks in the regulations:

Academic Intergrity

Information about academic integrity is available on the University website. Your department will also provide additional support to ensure that you understand the importance of avoiding cheating, plagiarism and collusion in your academic work. Penalties may be applied if you are found to have committed any of these offences.
If you have questions about academic integrity, ask your personal tutor for help.  

Technical Support for Undergraduate Projects

Content TBC

>Back to contents

Assessment Support Options

There may be times during your course when your circumstances will affect your ability to engage in your studies and complete your assessments. If you are having difficulties, please contact your School who will work with you to address them and support you 
Your School can help you access the following assessment support options: 

Exenuating Circumstances

Extenuating Circumstances (ECs) are when unforeseen events outside of your control (eg illness, bereavement, caring responsibilities) prevent you from completing assessments.  
See the University’s guidance on When to submit Extenuating Circumstances 
There are deadlines to submit Extenuating Circumstances by, this is the first working day after each exam period. You will need to provide evidence to support your circumstances. Your Extenuating Circumstances form and evidence will be processed by your School and your information will be kept anonymous wherever possible. The Exam board will decide whether and how your Extenuating Circumstances can be accounted for. More information on possible outcomes can be found in the Regulations and Code of Practice for Taught Programme 19.26-31. 
More information about the process of submitting an Extenuating Circumstances form, and a link to the form, can be found the University’s Extenuating Circumstances process web page. 


If you are absent from an exam or timed assessment you need to submit a self- certification form. This form can be found on the Faculty of Engineering Information for current student web page. 
If you submit the form before the exam/assessments starts, you will be able to reschedule it in the next opportunity which would usually be in the August reassessment period. You don’t need to provide evidence and if the exam/assessment you missed would have been your first attempt, you will still take it on that basis. 
If you start the exam/assessment but are not able to complete it, you should submit an Extenuating Circumstances form and provide supporting evidence to explain the situation. The Exam board would then take your situation into account. 
If your absence is due to longer term illness or personal circumstances that are affecting your studies, you should also submit an Extenuating Circumstances form. You can find this form on the Faculty of Engineering Information for current student web page. 

Absence from teaching

If you will be absent from teaching (either in person or online), you need to inform your School. They will advise on what action you need to take. If your absence is negatively impacting your performance in assessments, then submit an Extenuating Circumstances form to explain the situation. It then can be accounted for at the Exam boards. 

Coursework extensions

You should check your coursework deadlines at the start of each teaching block and organise your work in advance. This will avoid potential delays caused by unexpected circumstances such as illness. The University’s Time management courses are a useful resource that gives you tools for managing your time effectively. 
If unexpected circumstances do prevent you from submitting coursework on time you can request an extension using the Coursework extension form. Your request will need to be supported by evidence and you should consider whether an extension will impact your ongoing studies. 

Disability Services

If you have a disability or long-term health condition, we encourage you to access the Disability Services to get support with your studies 
Disabilities could include:
  • Specific learning difficulties (SpLDs) These include, but are not limited to dyslexia, dyspraxia, or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
  • Mental health difficulties These include, but are not limited to depression, anxiety, eating disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), bipolar affective disorder, personality disorders, or psychosis.
  • Autism
  • Sensory impairments such as visual or hearing impairments.
  • Mobility difficulties for example paralysis, scoliosis, chronic pain, difficulty walking, or using a wheelchair.
  • Ongoing health conditions 
If you have any other disability or health condition, or you are not sure if your condition is considered a disability, we strongly recommend you contact the Disability Services to discuss options for support.  
For more information and contact details please see the Disability Services web page.   

Alternative Exam Arrangements

Conventional exam arrangements may be difficult for you and impact your performance if you have a disability, health condition, language or specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia. You can request Alternative Exam Arrangements (AEAs) so you are not disadvantaged because of your circumstances. 
Possible AEAs include, but are not limited to:
  • extra time in exams
  • using a computer or other specialist equipment
  • rest breaks
  • a smaller or less distracting exam venue
  • a reader
  • a scribe
  • an alternative form of assessment, such as a take-home paper or viva (oral exam). 
  • Using a translation dictionary in exams
For further details, including deadlines by which to apply and a link to the online form can be found on Alternative Exam Arrangements (AEAs) 

>Back to contents

Progression and Awards

Examination Boards

Progression and classification decisions are made by Examination Boards. The Examination Boards meet after every assessment period and November (for postgraduate programmes only) in order to make progression and classification decisions. Initial decisions are made by departmental or school Examination Boards, which consist of all the examiners within a department or school. Then all final decisions about progression and classification are made by the Faculty Examination Board, which meets shortly after the departmental or school Examination Boards. Assessment results are published as soon as possible after the Faculty Examination Board meetings.
Examination Boards will also meet after the January assessment period to approve the marks. Progression decisions will only be made at this stage where it is possible to do so with only the Teaching Block 1 unit marks.
All discussions are anonymous, and your personal circumstances are not revealed to Examination Boards. For each department or school, a small Extenuating Circumstances Committee (ECC) is formed. These consider all the mitigating circumstances that have been submitted over the year and determine their extent and severity. These are reported to the Examination Boards, without reference to the particular circumstances, to ensure that a fair decision is made.

Degree Classification

Classification is the process by which the University determines your final degree result. It does this by combining the overall year mark for the final year with those for all the years after the first year using the published weightings for your programme. The final year is treated differently from the preceding years as the Faculty has taken the power provided by the University to treat the final year as a single, 120 credit block.  What this means is that to graduate, you must only pass the year as a whole and you are not required to pass all the units. However, the Faculty requires (and will continue to require) that all honours degree graduates must have successfully completed a major project.
No final year resits (i.e. second attempts) are offered by the Faculty.  The only exception is the project as this is a "must-pass" unit, and therefore students are permitted one resit opportunity in this unit.  Students who miss a final year exam through illness will be required to take this as a first attempt in the August/September resit period and therefore will not graduate in July. 
University Classification Rules (undergraduate programmes only) 
Both the Final Year and Penultimate Year of the programme must be taken and completed to an acceptable standard before an accredited degree may be awarded. The award and class of degree will depend on the overall mark, calculated with the published weightings.   
At the end of your programme, your final award is calculated in accordance with:

Year averages

The ‘year mark’ is calculated by averaging the unit marks following the weighting of the credit point value of the unit, as detailed in the university guidance.

Guidelines on when credits are included and counted in assessment (undergraduate programmes only)

Content TBC

Certificates and Diplomas

Undergraduate programmes: Regulations exist to allow the award of Certificates & Diplomas of Higher Education for students who withdraw from the University or are required to withdraw before completion of their programme of study. 
To be eligible for a Certificate of Higher Education the student must have completed at least one year of study and achieved an overall mark for the year of at least 40. 
To be eligible for a Diploma of Higher Education the student must have completed at least two years of study and achieved an overall mark for the second year of at least 40. 
The award of the Certificate/Diploma is at the discretion of the Faculty Board. Once a Certificate or Diploma has been awarded, students cannot transfer the credit points to any other programme of study, either at Bristol or elsewhere unless the Certificate or Diploma is surrendered. These awards do not count towards any accreditation by an engineering institution. 
Postgraduate programmes 
Postgraduate Diploma: For a Postgraduate Diploma, 120 credit points are required. At least 90 of the 120 credit points must be from units at Level 7 (Level M). These credit points must be obtained from the taught component only and not from the major dissertation. The project unit credits cannot be counted towards a Diploma.
In the event of a failure in a single unit or multiple units, the Board of Examiners (normally the Department Board, ratified by the Faculty) MAY exercise its discretion and award credit points, up to a maximum of 20, in the taught component.
Students who receive a Postgraduate Diploma do not attend the graduation ceremony. 
Postgraduate Certificate: For a Postgraduate Certificate, 60 credit points are required. These credit points must be obtained from the taught component only and not from the major dissertation.  At least 40 of the 60 credit points must be from units at Level 7 (Level M).
In the event of a failure in a single 10 credit point unit, the Board of Examiners (normally the Department Board, ratified by the Faculty) MAY exercise its discretion and award the credit points.
Students who receive a Postgraduate Certificate do not attend the graduation ceremony. 

>Back to contents

Re-sitting Examinations and Assessments


Terminology:  The term "resit" refers to a second attempt at an assessment previously failed. The term "supplementary assessment" refers to an assessment taken as a first attempt due to extenuating circumstances affecting a previous attempt.
You are expected to pass your assessments at the first attempt.  The university makes the concession to you that should you fail at the first attempt, you have an opportunity to take resits in order to demonstrate a minimum level of competence (as long as you have passed units worth at least 40 credit points at the first attempt for undergraduate programmes or 60 credit points for postgraduate taught programmes).  Should you fail to pass the resit then normally you will be required to withdraw from the University.
Resits may take place in August/September, or in the following academic year if you are permitted to register on a Supplementary (Resit) Year.  You are required to be available for the resits, and no account will be made in timetabling them in relation to the availability of individual students.
Students who are eligible for resits and have failures in units totalling 60 credit points or fewer, will take their resit examinations and submit any resit coursework in August/September.  The format of the resit or supplementary assessment may be different from the original form of assessment. 
Students on the Supplementary (Resit) Year need to re-do the entire unit, including every component of the assessment, from scratch.  We recommend that undergraduate students who fail 70 credits or more should not take resits in August/September but should take the Supplementary (Resit) Year.  However, students in this position can opt to take resits in August/September, but this would be at their own risk and against the advice of the Faculty.
Please note that once a resit or supplementary assessment has been permitted, the new mark is the one that counts, and it will not be possible to revert to the original mark should this prove to be higher than the resit or supplementary mark.
Supplementary assessments will not be allowed for units that students have already passed. 
Where the mark of a unit is less than that which might have been expected owing to extenuating circumstances, then this will be noted and considered during the process of making an award.

Supplementary year

The supplementary year is available in modular undergraduate programmes and also in taught postgraduate programmes where there are extenuating circumstances.
The Faculty of Engineering recommend that students failing 70 credits or more by the time of the June examination board take the "Supplementary Year" rather than resits in September.  In addition, some students will be permitted to register for the "Supplementary Year" due to extenuating circumstances during the August/September resit period. Finally, students failing resit(s) worth 20 credits or fewer in September may register for the "Supplementary Year" in order to have one final attempt at the failed units, if they have not already taken a supplementary year.
Students on the Supplementary Year will re-sit the examinations in either January or during the summer assessment periods depending on whether the unit is taught in Teaching Block 1 or Teaching Block 2 (or across both teaching blocks).  The examination will be the same as is set for non-repeating students in that cohort, using the preparatory material provided during teaching sessions. If the programme structure has changed since the previous academic year, then students may need to take different units to those they have just failed. Students on the Supplementary Year who are successful in passing the failed units will then re-join their programme in September in the next year of study.   They therefore take an extra year to complete their degree.
Students on the Supplementary Year need to re-do all labs and coursework and still need to meet with their tutor.  Marks for units where a resit (not supplementary 1st attempt) is required are capped at 40% and if failed the student will be required to withdraw (unless they have not yet had the final attempt at failed resits worth 20 credits or under).  Students registered on the Supplementary Year who are repeating units as a supplementary/first attempt, will normally be allowed to take resits again in August/September if they fail in June.
Students on the Supplementary Year will be required to fully engage with the failed units through standard attendance and re-do all coursework, labs and progress tests.  These students are also still required to meet with their Personal Tutor on a regular basis.  A pro-rata fee will be payable according to how many credit points they are taking.
If the failed unit(s) are only taught over one teaching block, then students will need to register for a voluntary unit in the other teaching block if they wish to retain full student status.  Fees will be payable for the voluntary unit.  It may be possible to suspend study during the appropriate teaching block, but home students should take advice from the Student Funding Office for any implications on their loan, and International Students should take advice from Student Visa Services.

Conditional progression

Conditional progression is not permitted for most undergraduate programmes in the Faculty of Engineering. As outlined in the Faculty Workload Statement, our programmes require students to undertake a full-time schedule of teaching activities in each year of study which means that it is not possible to progress into the next year of study and accommodate outstanding units in addition to the normal workload. As a faculty, we have taken the decision not to permit conditional progression in order to protect student wellbeing and to secure the best possible chance of academic success. 
If you have not completed all of your units for your current year of study by the time of the September meeting of the Faculty Exam Board, the Board will consider permitting you a supplementary year.
The only instance in which conditional progression is available in the Faculty of Engineering is for students who are at the end of Year 2 of a programme with a Year in Industry, where failure to progress would prevent them from fulfilling their contractual obligation to take up an industrial placement. Under those circumstances, conditional progression will be considered for any student who has 20 credits or fewer outstanding from their Year 2 units. If there are more than 20 credits outstanding, then conditional progression cannot be permitted and the Faculty Exam Board will permitting a supplementary year.  

>Back to contents

Student Representation and Opportunities to Provide Feedback

The student representation system is operated in partnership between the University of Bristol and the Students’ Union (Bristol SU).   The principles of student representation and its operation and practice can be found in the Code of Practice for Student Representation (Taught Students) 
There are a range of elected positions that represent the interests of students across the key areas of student life. These include Course Reps, Senate Reps, Part-time Officers and Full-time Officers.  More information about these roles can be found in the information about Student Voice on the Bristol SU website.  
The Faculty works closely with the academic representatives to improve our programmes. You can expect to have the opportunity to share your views through questionnaires, forums, departmental student-staff liaison committees, and the Faculty Student-Staff Liaison Committee (FSSLC).  Serving on the FSSLC, representing your department, will give you useful experience, and effect real change within the Faculty. Feedback from the committee is directly acted on at the Faculty Undergraduate/Graduate Studies Committee, with responses fed back. 
We aim to provide a fast response to problems reported to us, but some issues (such as matters of curriculum design) may be inherently impossible to resolve until the following academic year - when your successors will gain the benefit. If you experience a problem with teaching or assessment arrangements for a specific unit, contact the unit director.  

>Back to contents

Intellectual Property

Intellectual Property is the term used to describe the outputs of creative endeavour in literary, artistic, industrial, scientific and engineering fields that can be protected under legislation.  
Please see further information in the Intellectual Property Policy for Students (section 13 of the Rules and Regulations for Students). 

>Back to contents


As a University of Bristol student, you are required to carry your UCard whenever you are on University premises. Access to Engineering buildings is restricted and you will need your UCard to gain access. Your School Office can help if you are experiencing difficulties in accessing restricted spaces.  
You are advised not to leave personal items unattended anywhere on campus. limited number of lockers are available for student use in the Queen's Building. Enquire at the Faculty Office for more information.  A deposit will be required and keys should be returned at the end of each academic year. 
The Security Services website offers further information to help you ensure your safety and security during your studies.  

>Back to contents

Complaints and Appeals

Please see University guidance on academic appeals and section 4 of the Rules and Regulations for complaints. 

>Back to contents

Data Protection

The University is required to process student personal data in order to function effectively as an educational institution and to provide students with the support they require while undertaking their studies. All matters relating to a student's career at the University are strictly confidential and may not be relayed to other parties, including parents, without the express written permission of the individual student. 
The University Secretary’s Office provides more information about data protection on their website, along with details of how the University uses student personal data contained in the Fair Processing Notice.  

>Back to contents


A useful collection of terms and their meaning can be found on annex 1 of the Regulation and Code of Practice for taught programmes.

>Back to contents


Women in Engineering

The Faculty of Engineering is committed to providing a positive working environment for women. By developing good employment practices, tackling the unequal representation of women in research and teaching and improving career progression for female academics, the Faculty is contributing to the national goal of advancing women in sectors traditionally dominated by men. 
Please see the Women in Engineering website which contains information about awards and scholarships, events, profiles, publications and many useful resources and links. 

Industrial Liaison Office

The Industrial Liaison Office (ILO) Student Team is here to link you to industry experiences.  We provide you with specific employability and industry engagement opportunities, connecting you to a wide range of partners from large multinationals to start-ups based in the city region.  Our initiatives include:
  • A mentoring scheme for all first-year students
  • Helping to find placements and leading the placements approval process for Year in Industry programmes
  • Technical talks from industry, to ensure that you are hearing about the most up to date technical advances and can find out more about jobs within the engineering sectors.
  • Securing industry funding for extra-curricular activities and student prizes
  • Linking companies with student societies     
You will receive a regular ILO e-newsletter with information on our schemes and events as well as competitions, internship and job opportunities. 
Please visit our website for more information: www.bristol.ac.uk/engineering/ilo/.  

Bristol Futures

Bristol Futures is being designed to clearly define what makes the ‘Bristol Graduate’ unique. It will build upon our core academic values and the benefits of a research-led curriculum and encourage our students to be creative, open-minded, confident free thinkers, who make judgements and decisions based on evidence, taking account of the wider context.  
The University's Study Skills service is part of Bristol Futures and it has been designed to help students develop and enhance a set of skills to be better prepared for university study, helping to improve grades and even helping in students’ professional and personal life. 

Governance with the Faculty

 Content TBC

>Back to contents

Edit this page