Facilities available to the OGU
The OGU hosts the NERC National Environmental Isotope Facility (NEIF) (Bristol node), a national facility that exists to provide an organic and stable isotope ratio mass spectrometry service to the UK life sciences community.
The group operates three chemical laboratories each specifically designed with biogeochemical research in mind, from initial sample handling and preparation, through extraction and pre-fractionation of analytes to subsequent instrument analysis. Facilities include temperature-controlled and clean rooms, a range of modern analytical laboratory equipment and the usual data processing and desktop publishing capabilities.
Gas chromatography, is used extensively by our group for the separation of complex mixtures of volatile compounds. We currently operate around ten gas chromatographs (GC-FID), which we use with a range of capillary columns to routinely characterise different samples. In addition, we have a preparative GC, enabling the automated isolation of individual components of mixtures; this is particularly useful for isolating compounds for compound specific radiocarbon dating. For less volatile compounds, we utilise high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC-DAD).
Further characterisation of samples is carried out using various hyphenated techniques, i.e. chromatography coupled to mass spectrometry. Instruments currently owned and operated by the OGU include:
- Thermo ISQ GC-MS
- Thermo ISQ GC-MS coupled to a CDS-6000 pyrolyser
- ThermoFisher Scientific Accela Quantum Access triplequadrupole MS (HPLC or UPLC with APCI or ESI)
- IsoPrime 100 GC/C/IRMS (compound specific δ13C value determination)
- Elementar VisION GC/C/IRMS (compound specific δ13C value determination)
- Elementar PrecisION GC/C/IRMS (compound specific δ15N value determination)
- ThermoFinnigan DeltaPlusXP GC/C/IRMS (compound specific δ13C value determination)
- ThermoFinnigan Delta XP GC/C/IRMS (compound specific δ15N value determination)
- ThermoFisher Scientific Delta V GC/C/IRMS (GC IsoLink, dedicated compound specific δD value determinations)
- ThermoFisher Scientific Delta V LC/IRMS (LC IsoLink, dedicated compound specific δ13C value determination)
- Thermo Scientific Orbitrap ID-X Tribrid MS (dedicated small molcule analysis, HPLC, IC or direct infusion)
The group also has access to an extensive range of facilities and resources maintained by the School of Chemistry.