What is Campus Heart?
Campus Heart is a place at the centre of the campus, along Tyndall Avenue. We want you to be able to come together to learn, study, be social, relax, get help and support - and we're transforming the campus to create these spaces.
Why is this important?
Academic achievement is important. But enabling that achievement also matters.
Students and staff have told us they need more space, more opportunities to connect and a greater sense of belonging. We’ve listened.
Through the Campus Heart programme we're building new spaces at the heart of the campus to do just that.
You said, we did
There have been a lot of changes already. The Garden Cafe at Hawthorns, and the better equipped gym in the Sports Centre both opened for business last year.
Since then we have started to transform Senate House to provide new teaching spaces and new, dedicated spaces for current students and staff. Plans for a new University Library have also reached another milestone recently, now planning permission has been submitted. A new library space will mean more study spaces, and a new home for our world-class Cultural Collections.
But it can't all happen overnight - it will take some time to make all our plans come to fruition. At every stage we will keep you in the loop, and there will be opportunities to get involved and help shape plans.
Help shape plans
Whether you’re a student, member of staff or you live nearby, there will be many opportunities to get involved in shaping the changes.
We are committed to involving staff, students and our local community every step of the way. Find out how you can get involved.
Changes so far
- The new Garden Café at the Hawthorns is open.
- A larger and better equipped gym opened in the Sports Centre.
- A new space for staff to relax at Royal Fort House opened.
- First phase of the Senate House transformation was completed.
- The Bristol SU Living Room opened its doors.
- New food court, dining area and SU café/bar will open in Senate House.
- Our inspirational new library will be ready to welcome all students, staff and our wider community.
- New, shared public spaces.
Our plans are ambitious, and they can't all happen overnight. It's going to take years to transform our space. Keep informed of the latest developments by signing up for our newsletter.