Student life issues

While you are here at Bristol, you may experience some problems that are quite common and specific to life as a student. These pages contain resources and contacts to support you. On this page:

  • Course concerns
  • Money worries
  • Housing concerns
  • Homesick and lonely
  • Personal and relationship issues
  • Personal safety

Course concerns

Studying at university is not easy. You might have lost confidence in your own ability and be wondering if you are on the right course. You may feel under pressure and sometimes struggle to cope with the demands you are putting on yourself, or may come from family and friends or tutors.

It is easy to think everyone around you is coping better but in reality everyone at university has to work hard to achieve and succeed.

Who you can talk to

What you can do

Big White Wall

Big White Wall is a safe online support community who help each other by sharing what’s troubling them, guided by trained professionals.

It is available 24/7, and completely anonymous so you can express yourself freely and openly. The University will not know you have used it.

Use Big White Wall

Nightline - telephone support service

Nightline is a telephone-based listening and information service run by students, for students.

They are happy to listen to anything you want to talk about. Everything you say is confidential and anonymous.

  • Open 8 pm- 8 am during term time.
  • Tel +44 (0)117 926 6266.

Money worries

When you become a student, you may be managing your finances for the first time. The financial worry may get too much and you may feel anxious and stressed affecting your ability to study and enjoy life. You may be worrying about what job opportunities you will have once you graduate or how to manage your debt. We understand you may need extra support.

Who you can talk to

What you can do

Housing concerns

You may face a range of problems when living in student housing. You may be living away from home for the first time, worried about how to find a house to share with friends, or having a difficult time with housemates. All of these situations can be stressful, and you may be feeling anxious or struggling to cope.

Who you can talk to

  • If you are in University allocated accommodation you can talk to your Warden, Student Support Adviser, Deputy Warden or Senior Residents. Contacts for these are available from your accommodation guide. Select your residence. Contact information is in the "Advice and support" section of the residence guide;
  • If you are living in privately-rented accommodation the Accommodation Office offers a housing advice service run by a dedicated Private Sector Adviser who can help with any problems you may be having;
  • If you are worried during the night, call Nightline (0)117 926 6266.

What you can do

Homesickness and Loneliness

Homesickness is a normal part of starting university, and although it might not seem like it, there are plenty of things you can do make yourself feel happier. We are here to help you adjust if you struggle to settle into life as a student

University is all about growing up; it's a huge transition, and it can take you a while to adjust. Everything is suddenly very different: a new place, new people, a new course, combined with the pressure to be having the very best time of your life.

Who you can talk to

What you can do

Personal and relationship issues

It is normal for people to have emotional problems in their day-to-day lives.  We are here to give you advice, help and support with anything which might affect your experience at Bristol. 

Who you can talk to

What you can do

Edit this page