Services and resources

Take advantage of the wealth of support that is available to you while you are a student here. Don't worry if you aren't sure where to go, staff will pass you to the relevant team.

Student services and resources
Service or resourceSummary
Accommodation Support for students living in University residences and other accommodationFind guidance for current studentsGet advice on renting in the private sector. There are online resources for common issues, such as paying council tax. Advertise a room or find housemates using the student bulletin board.
Big white wall Big White Wall (BWW) is a multi-award winning service designed to help people get support, take control and feel better. It provides 24/7 peer and professional support (with trained counsellors online at all times), plus a range of wellbeing tools to help people self-manage.
Careers Service Inspiration and support to help you get where you want to be when you graduate through workshops, fairs and employer presentations.
Student Counselling Service Helping you to maintain positive mental health with confidential self-help, workshops, groups and individual counselling.
Data Protection The University handles student personal data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.  Find out how the University uses student personal data.
Dentist The University does not have a student dental surgery. You can use the NHS dentist finder to find your nearest dentist.
Disability Services A confidential service providing information, advice and guidance if you have a disability. Find out more about who the team support.
Disabled students parking Disabled students can apply for a car park permit if they meet certain criteria.
Doctoral College The Bristol Doctoral College provides a research information hub, including skills training and researcher development for the postgraduate research community.
Exams Office The Office organises the main University exams and the examination of research degrees.
External Events What you need to do if you would like to hold an event externally on the University campus.
Fees The Student Fees Office take payments for tuition or accommodation fees. They can advise you on ways to pay your fees and when payment is due.
Funding The Student Funding team can help with bursaries, scholarships and loans; advise you about UK government support; managing your finances; and provide emergency short-term loans.
Food and catering Menu options in catered residences, meal cards for self-catered residences and where to find the Source cafe branded cafés on campus.
Forms Student absence, extenuating circumstances, viva, thesis, financial forms, etc.
Health and wellbeing There is a wide range of support available to you whether you are going through a difficult period in your life, have experienced a traumatic event or need support managing a mental or physical health condition. You can access individual advice and guidance, directed self-help, and anonymous online peer-to-peer support.
International Office Advice for international students about living in Bristol and the UK including: council tax, healthcare, working, finances, driving and language support. Find out about social events, sightseeing tours and trips around the UK.

Insurance details for students in University-owned accommodation. Students on a year abroad or an Erasmus placement can also buy travel insurance through the University. Find out about Public Liability insurance for Students' Union clubs and societies.

International Student Visa Advice and Compliance Team Advice and support for international students on obtaining a visa to come and study in the UK, extending existing visas, and how changes in academic status may affect immigration status. We provide information on Tier 4 and short-term student visas.
IT Services Help and support with IT, including a laptop and mobile clinic. Access training resources or support with University email and passwords, filestores, and printing. Information on internet access and connecting to wireless networks using your own devices. Access the MyBristol portal or your remote desktop. Find your nearest computer or study space.
IT status updates Live status updates for technical systems and services supported by IT Services
Just Ask Just Ask is a free, confidential advice service provided by Bristol Students' Union. Just Ask specialises in academic Advice but University of Bristol students can go to them about anything and they can signpost them to relevant services and provide information.
Dates Teaching blocks, revision weeks, assessment/exam periods, vacation dates, Bank holidays, University closures, degree ceremonies.
Library Information on using the library, opening times, locations and study spaces.
Multifaith Chaplaincy A place of welcome and pastoral and spiritual support for students of all faiths and none. Students are welcome to drop in for a chat or a hot drink. The Chaplaincy also has rooms for groups to meet or for you to study or relax in. 
Nightline Open 8 pm to 8 am during term time, Nightline is a listening and information service run by students, for students. Tel 01179 266 266
Regulations and Code of Practice for Research Programmes The code of practice for reserch programmes tells you what you can expect in terms of induction, supervision, academic standards, review of your progress and opportunities to develop your skills.
Regulations and Code of Practice for Taught Programmes  The code of practice for taught programmes tells you about assessments, progression and the award of qualifications. It also has information on attendance, feedback and extenuating circumstances.
Room bookings Student society meetings in halls of residence – contact the Conference Office or fill out the Society event enquiry form (Office document, 46kB)
Society events on campus – please make a webroom booking or contact the Conference Office, or fill out the Society event enquiry form (Office document, 46kB).
Rules and regulations The student rules and regulations include: the Student Agreement, complaints procedure, disciplinary matters, fees, exams, plagiarism, research misconduct, intellectual property, and the use of facilities.
Security Services Advice about your personal safety and your safety on University premises. Security Services are available 24 hours a day and should be contacted if there is an emergency (Tel. 0117 331 1223).
Sexual consent Materials to support new undergraduates in residences who are taking part in workshops on this important subject.
Sport, Exercise and Health Sports facilities on four sites, activities and clubs, healthy living and sports medicine.
Student Info Log in to Student Info to update your contact details, such as a change in your term-time address. You can use Student Info to view your exam timetable, see your unit results and your award details.
Student-led support groups Groups run by students, for students. Includes the Eating Disorders Support Group, LGBT+ Support Group, Medic Chat, Disabled Students Support Network and more.
Student Navigation Network The Student Navigation Network organise peer mentoring and Peer Assisted Study Sessions for first year students.
Students' Health Service A full NHS GP (doctor) service for students and their dependants, specialising in all aspects of student health. Find reliable, relevant health advice on the ESC Student app (iOS - Apple Store | Android - Google Play Store), developed with the Students' Health Service.
Study spaces Find out where study spaces are and what facilities are available (includes rooms for group study).
Study Skills service Online resources to help develop your study skills.
Travel and transport Explore your options for travelling to and from the University, including bus travel to and from the Stoke Bishop residences using the Bristol Unibus service.
Ucard Your Ucard is your student ID card. You'll need it whenever you're around the University. It gives you access to university buildings and facilities. You'll also need it for identification in exams. Card Services provide Ucards and can replace lost or stolen cards.
Unit and programme catalogues Unit details for all undergraduate courses and postgraduate programmes running in the current/next academic year.
Visa advice and support Contact the Visa advice and support team for general visa advice. They can also answer questions about how suspending, transferring or withdrawing from the University can affect your student visa. 

School or residence support

As well as the support services listed on this page, your academic school and hall of residence also offer help.

School and faculty intranets

Edit this page