Featured stories: the impact of our research
- Bringing Wi-Fi to the mass market 12 June 2015 Wi-Fi is now established as the way most of us connect to the internet. The University of Bristol has played a major role in making this possible – developing standards, products and testing methodologies that have turned Wi-Fi into a truly global phenomenon.
- Inspiring Mathematicians 10 June 2015 Researchers from the School of Mathematics are bringing maths to life by telling the human stories behind important breakthroughs and by using music to illustrate complex mathematical problems.
- Benchmarking financial capability 1 May 2015 University of Bristol research provides an international model for assessing financial capability
- Tackling climate, crime and salmon 1 May 2015 The statistical methodology that's helping solve commercial, social and scientific problems around the world
- XMOS - innovations in embedded systems 1 May 2015 XMOS, founded as a University of Bristol spin-out company, today employs more than 50 people in three continents by enabling electronics manufacturers to save costs and develop more efficient products more quickly.
- Good vibrations 1 May 2015 Numerical models make for smoother helicopter rides
- Diamond insights 30 March 2015 Diamonds are one of the world’s major natural resources, accounting for billions of revenue for the mining industry every year. When industry joined forces with science their full financial and technical potential was realised.
- The epic reach of elliptic curves 27 March 2015 Pioneering research carried out by one of the UK’s leading teams of cryptographers is steering radical changes in global online security.
- Stress measurement 12 March 2015 Faculty of Engineering researchers and their spin-out company Veqter have developed a unique laboratory or on-site service that measures hidden stresses inside mission-critical industrial components.
- Reducing urban landslide risk in developing countries 12 March 2015 A new process of slope water management has helped develop a a cost-effective means of reducing landslide risk for whole communities.
About our impact stories
Research at the University of Bristol contributes to the University's international reputation, it informs our teaching and it is the basis of our economic and societal role in the region and of our collaborations across the world.
The stories here celebrate the range and depth of this research undertaken at the University and how it impacts on society, on a local, national and international level.
These stories reflect our sustained and evolving research activity, focusing on key projects that are currently active or have recently been completed from each of the University .