Featured stories: the impact of our research
- Supporting the launch of a Meningitis B vaccination programme 15 October 2015 Vaccination scenario modelling was pivotal in the UK's decision to include group B meningococcal disease as part of the childhood immunisation routine in 2015.
- Revolutionising access to financial services 26 June 2015 Bristol research established financial exclusion as determined by far more than just geography, and shaped policies to halve the number of people without a bank account.
- Shaping suicide prevention initiatives 17 June 2015 Bristol research has helped shape local, national and global suicide prevention initiatives, leading to subsequent reductions in suicide rates.
- Cracking graphite to help extend life of nuclear power stations 17 June 2015 Using advanced materials analysis to help extend the lifespan of two nuclear power reactors, with substantial financial and environmental benefits.
- Protecting subglacial environments in Antarctica 16 June 2015 Bristol's research into Antarctica's network of dynamic subglacial lakes was instrumental in adopting a Code of Conduct for scientific discovery without compromising these unique habitats.
- Measuring social influence for business and government 16 June 2015 Developing new analysis tools that determine the extent to which social networks influence decision-making
- Changing the rules that define constituency boundaries 12 June 2015 Bristol's impartial expertise on representation in the House of Commons has helped shape legislation, inform debate and improve public understanding.
- Revolutionising industrial safety through ultrasonic technology 12 June 2015 Bristol has brought world-leading, efficient and financially viable Ultrasonic Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) to the nuclear power and aerospace industries.
- Bringing Wi-Fi to the mass market 12 June 2015 Wi-Fi is now established as the way most of us connect to the internet. The University of Bristol has played a major role in making this possible – developing standards, products and testing methodologies that have turned Wi-Fi into a truly global phenomenon.
- Inspiring Mathematicians 10 June 2015 Researchers from the School of Mathematics are bringing maths to life by telling the human stories behind important breakthroughs and by using music to illustrate complex mathematical problems.
About our impact stories
Research at the University of Bristol contributes to the University's international reputation, it informs our teaching and it is the basis of our economic and societal role in the region and of our collaborations across the world.
The stories here celebrate the range and depth of this research undertaken at the University and how it impacts on society, on a local, national and international level.
These stories reflect our sustained and evolving research activity, focusing on key projects that are currently active or have recently been completed from each of the University .