Royal Literary Fund Writing Fellows
Do you want to develop an engaging and readable style? Do you want to improve your writing structure and clarity? Would you like help in approaching the writing process, from taking notes to compiling drafts and preparing your work for submission?
Good written communication is essential for success and is a valuable life skill which will benefit not only your academic endeavours, but also your professional life after graduation.The University is supported by acclaimed Royal Literary Fund Writing Fellows who are available for confidential, one-to-one consultations to advise you on how to improve your written work.
Sessions with Writing Fellows are available to all undergraduates, postgraduates and staff. All sessions include help in planning and structuring your work, writing clear and compelling prose, or editing and presenting the final version.
The Writing Fellows can help you with the following:
- approach the essay writing process from note-taking to drafting and presenting work
- identifying strengths and weaknesses in your writing and creating strategies for long-term improvement
- advising you on structuring a piece of writing to ensure that it is clear and coherent
- provide motivation, inspiration and encouragement.
The Writing Fellows will look at work and offer guidance on:
- making the best use of grammar and punctuation
- using sentence construction to convey ideas clearly and elegantly
- developing an engaging, readable writing style.
The Writing Fellows will not:
- proof-read or edit students’ work
- comment on marks already awarded, the overall quality of the work, or possible outcomes in assessment
- provide a “quick fix” for work that is poorly prepared
- comment on the subject content of the work
- provide remedial English assistance or support for non-native speakers.
Make an appointment
We currently have four Fellows working across the University, some of whom are affiliated to specific faculties or locations. However, all of our Writing Fellows can work with students from any faculty, so please feel free to contact any one of the Fellows for help.
Jasbinder will be holding one-to-ones both in-person and by video link. She will normally work on Mondays and Tuesdays as well as other days Please email Jasbinder at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to book an appointment.
Watch Jasbinder's introduction video-
Paul will be normally be offering one to one sessions on Tuesdays by video link and on Thursdays on in person on campus. Please email Paul at email@example.com for more information or to book an appointment.
Watch Paul's introduction video-
Martin usually works on Tuesdays (via video call) and Wednesdays (on campus). Please email Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to book an appointment.
Watch Martin's introduction video-
Jane will be holding one-to-one sessions by video link. She usually works on Fridays during term time. To find out more or book an appointment with Jane, please email email@example.com
Watch Jane's introduction video-
Book a session today
All sessions with a Writing Fellow are one-to-one, free and confidential. Your work will not be marked or discussed with any members of staff or your colleagues. A session with a Writing Fellow is an opportunity to get expert help with your writing - be it an essay, dissertation, thesis or report.