In partnership with Spin Up Science, the University have developed a new programme designed to give you experience of engaging with local businesses.
Ideas lab takes place over the course of 5 weeks and allows you to work with other students and early career researchers to help solve real business challenges. The session comprises of five half day training sessions and during these sessions you will work with your team and our facilitators to hone and develop your solution to a company’s problem.
This programme is designed to allow you to network with businesses and experience creative teamwork. If successful, you could be offered a secondment opportunity with that business in order to implement your solution.
The Ideas Lab training will take place in the afternoons.
Why should you take part?
- Ideas Lab is a great way to apply your learning to real-life business problems, developing your consultancy skills as well as providing free, personalised expertise to start-up businesses.
- The event lets you experience what it's like to work to tight deadlines as part of a creative team.
- You will receive a Certificate of Participation. As well as receiving a digital certificate to show that you've undertaken the training.
- If the company likes your idea, there is scope for you undertake a paid Internship within the company.
What is expected of me?
- You must be prepared to commit to the five half day training sessions.
- You must be prepared to commit to additional hours between sessions to develop the deliverables.
- You will need to apply previous learning to help solve the challenges which could either be technical or business related.
- You will be required to work with others, so a professional working attitude is essential.
- You must seek prior approval of your supervisor/line manager before applying.
Who can take part?
Ideas Lab is open to all postgraduate and doctoral students and early career researchers.
How do I apply?
We are currently taking speculative applications for the next Ideas Lab. Fill in the short application form to register your interest or follow the link for contact information.