Welcome to our libraries!
Hello to all our new students and welcome back to all those returning! We are so happy to have you back in all eight of our libraries, this page outlines everything you need to know to get going with using our libraries and all the changes that are new for this academic year.
Visiting one of our libraries
The University of Bristol has eight libraries around the city. The libraries are; the Arts and Social Sciences, Chemistry, Education, Medical, Physics, Queen's Building, Veterinary Sciences and Wills Memorial. Check out our Locations and opening hours page for more information on each individual library.
→ All University of Bristol students have access to all of the university libraries, no matter which subject you study! For instance, a Biology student can work in the Education library or a Sociology student can study in the Physics library. Each library has a different style so we recommend trying a range of them out so you find which space works best for you!
What's on during Welcome Week!
There are a range of activities going on in and around the libraries over Welcome Week this September
- Library stand at the Destination Bristol Welcome Week Fair, Royal Fort, 19-21 September
- The University VR Virtual Museum experience, Arts and Social Sciences Library, Ground Floor, 20 September 1-3pm
- Library Support Welcome chat, Arts and Social Sciences Library, 19-21 September, 12-3pm
- Special Collections University Archive Treasures display, Arts and Social Sciences Library, 1st floor Seminar Room, 21 September, 10am-4pm
- MA History of Art Yolanda Sonnabend: Designing for the Stage exhibition, Theatre Collections, ongoing
What's new for this academic year
Here are some of things that are new in our libraries
- The Chemistry and Physics libraries are now unstaffed during the day, staff will be present in the libraries between 4:30 and 7pm
- There are now two Digital Study Pods, check out the Arts and Social Sciences Library page for more information
- Get to know our New Head of Special Collections Nicky Sugar
- The Physics collection has been reclassified and the library itself has been refurbished over the summer
- There are now docking stations in the Arts and Social Sciences Library
- The Arts and Social Sciences got a new book returner
- All libraries got new Self-Service Units for taking out and returning books
- The Bristol Reads collections have expanded
What you can do in our libraries!
Our libraries are places where you can study, write, research and get helpful support with your work.
Charge your laptop, or use wi-fi.
Borrow books. Undergraduates can take out up to 40 titles at a time!
You can research online. Find books, articles and more.
You can print at any of our libraries.
We run workshops. Check the Events calendar for valuable workshops, with some run by Subject Librarians.
We can help make studying more accessible. Library Support offers low-distraction study rooms, text-to-speech software, adjustable desks and more.
Get into Study space booking to guarantee a desk.
We have fiction books to read for pleasure. Check out our Bristol Reads collections.
Stay up-to-date with what goes on across the university libraries!