Postgraduate Students

Frequently Asked Questions and Document Requests

Requesting standard letters and documents

Transcripts and certificates

CAS numbers and visa advice

Please also see information for Current Students.

Requesting standard letters and documents

Important: if you are a new student we are unable to provide any documents confirming registration at the university until you have completed your face-to-face registration at the designated registration event for your programme.

Student Status Letters

You may need to get a letter that confirms you are a student at the University of Bristol. You can generate a student status letter online that confirms your enrolment.

Bank Letters

International students can create a bank letter online with all the details necessary to open a UK bank account. 

Council Tax Exemption Certificates

Find out if you need to apply for a council tax exemption online. 

Documents for Visiting Students

Incoming visiting students should contact the Global Opportunities Team in the International Office if they need to request a certification letter, bank letter or certificate of full-time Study (for Council Tax exemption).

Working Letters

Working letters state that students from oversees have the right to work in the UK. These letters are generated via Evision as self-service letters. This has been set up by the Visa Team and letters can be accessed through this page - Working letters

Transcripts and certificates

What is an academic transcript?

An academic transcript is an official document that shows:

  • The units which have been taken in each year of study
  • The assessment and reassessment (as appropriate) grades for each unit
  • The total number of credits gained in each unit taken and in each year of study
  • The degree awarded, degree classification and date of award (where applicable)

Please note: we are currently not able to provide hard copies.

How do I apply for an academic transcript?

You can apply and pay for your transcript via the Health Sciences Online Shop

The transcript will be an official document, exactly the same as the one you will, or would have, received after graduation.

You will be asked to choose the type of transcript, enter your details and make a secure online payment (where applicable).

Please note: transcripts will be provided in a digital format.

If you have any questions regarding academic transcripts please email us at

How much do they cost?

Current students

There is no charge for transcripts requested by current students. These are known as interim transcripts.

Former students

Once your award is published, you will still have access to University systems for a limited period. While you still have access, you can view and download your final transcript of marks:

  1. Log in to eVision.
  2. Select Download transcript to download and save a copy for your records.

After your University access has expired, if you require a copy of your final transcript you should submit a transcript request through the online shop.

Charges for additional copies of transcripts will be applied as follows:

  • If you graduated less than eight years ago you will be charged £10 for the first copy and £5 for each subsequent copy;
  • If you graduated more than eight years ago you will be charged £20 for the first copy and £5 for each subsequent copy.

We regret that academic transcripts cannot be issued until payment, if appropriate, has been received.

If you have any questions regarding academic transcripts please email us at

How long does it take?

Transcript orders take up to 10 working days to complete as standard (for awards before 2005 this may take a little longer), although during busy times of the year (especially following graduation and the autumn term) delays can occur and production of transcripts can take longer.  It is therefore recommended that you order your transcripts as early as possible to ensure they are produced and dispatched in time for any deadlines you may have.

If you require a copy of your transcript to be sent by courier you will need to organise and pay for this personally.  Please confirm the courier details and arranged time for collection to

Missing or incorrect information 

Missing unit marks

Results must be confirmed at the Faculty Exam Board prior to being released and updated in StudentInfo.

If you are a current student and have provisionally received a mark but it does not appear on your transcript this means it is awaiting approval by the relevant exam board.

If you have graduated and a mark is missing or incorrect, please contact your School.

All marks are subject to approval by the Faculty Exam Board.

Verification of awards and replacement degree certificates

The Examinations Office can provide verification of awards and replacement degree certificates.  For further information, including costs, see the awards, certificates, results and verifications page

If you have any queries you can contact the Examinations Office by email:

CAS numbers and visa advice

If you are a current student and you need a new CAS in order to apply for a visa extension please contact the Student Visa Services team for further advice and to make an appointment with an adviser. 

If you will be joining as a new Postgraduate Student and you have not yet received your CAS please contact

Please remember to quote your student and/or application number in all correspondence with us.

If you have any queries about the information on this page please contact the Faculty of Health Sciences postgraduate administration team either by email or calling 0117 42 82754.

Edit this page