Philosophy study guide 2023/24
Philosophy at Bristol
The Department of Philosophy at the University of Bristol is considered one of the top in the UK, with a reputation for high-quality research in all aspects of the subject.
We are particularly well-known for our strength in the philosophy of science, very broadly construed to include e.g. logic and formal epistemology, but also have leading researchers in applied ethics, phenomenology and the philosophy of medicine. We also host the Centre for Science and Philosophy, which promotes the interpretation of science through collaboration with other disciplines. We continually have major research projects running in the department, each hosting a number of workshops, conferences, reading groups and visiting scholars throughout the year. For more details about our research see our people profiles.
Our student community is a busy and committed one, with a student-led Philosophy Society that organises regular social events and discussion forums.
The department offers many classes that are based in a single semester, and can therefore accept unit requests from Study Abroad students who want to join Bristol for just the autumn or spring semester.
The department offers units across all undergraduate levels of study: year 1 (level C/4), year 2 (level I/5), and year 3 (level H/6) units. Selected postgraduate units (Level M/7) are also available. Philosophy level M/7 units are suitable for students currently completing postgraduate studies at their home university.
Unit codes in the Department of Philosophy begin with 'PHIL'. This is followed by a number indicating the year (1, 2, 3). For example:
- PHIL10000 = year 1 unit
- PHIL20000 = year 2 unit
- PHIL30000 = year 3 unit.
For more information about each unit, check the University's unit catalogue for 2023/24. Applicants on all study abroad programmes must review the unit details on the catalogue before listing unit choices on their application form. This includes checking the format of assessment for each unit. The unit catalogue for 2023/24 is updated by April 2023.
Your unit choices cannot be guaranteed. Some units may not have capacity to accommodate all of the unit requests we receive. Registration on a unit also depends on whether you meet the pre-requisite conditions through prior study at your home university.
Study Abroad (Subject pathway)
If you have been nominated to Bristol on the Study Abroad (Subject pathway), you must take the majority of your credits in this department.
Units available on the study abroad programme in 2023/24
The following units from the Department of Philosophy are open to incoming Study Abroad students.
Year 1 (level C/4)
- Introduction to Formal Logic (TB1) - PHIL10014
- Introduction to Philosophy A (TB1) - PHIL10005
- Introduction to Philosophy B (TB2) - PHIL10006
- Knowledge and Reality (TB2) - PHIL10034
- Logic and Critical Thinking (TB1) - PHIL10032
- Readings in Value Theory (TB1) - PHIL10033
Year 2 (level I/5)
- Aesthetics (TB2) - PHIL20136
- Ancient Philosophy (TB2) - PHIL20040
- Beyond Humanity (TB1) - PHIL2NEW
- Classical Chinese Philosophy (TB1) - PHIL2NEW
- Death, Dying and Disease (TB2) - PHIL20049
- Ethics (TB2) - PHIL20011
- Philosophy of Language (TB1) - PHIL20017
- Philosophy of Mathematics (TB2) - PHIL20039
- Philosophy of Mind (TB1) - PHIL20010
- Political Philosophy (TB1) - PHIL20012
- Realism and Normativity (TB1) - PHIL20046
- Space, Time and Matter (TB2) - PHIL20053
- Themes in Modern European Philosophy I (TB1) - PHIL20051
Year 3 (level H/6)
- Beyond Humanity (TB1) - PHIL3NEW
- Death, Dying and Disease (TB2) - PHIL30115
- Evil, Deviance and Crime (TB1) - PHIL30127
- Feminist Philosophy (TB2) - PHIL30123
- Philosophy in the Digital Age (TB2) - PHIL30132
- Philosophy of Biology (TB1) - PHIL30063
- Philosophy of Mathematics (TB2) - PHIL30090
- Philosophy of Medicine (TB1) - PHIL30082
- Philosophy of Psychology (TB2) - PHIL30077
- Philosophy of Science (TB2) - PHIL30049
- Probability and Rationality (TB1) - PHIL30078
- Texts in Modern European Philosophy 2 (TB2) - PHIL30116
- The Ethics of Migration and Citizenship (TB1) - PHIL30118
- Themes in Ethics (TB2) - PHIL30137
- Themes in Modern European Philosophy 2 (TB2) - PHIL30117
Year 4 (level M/7)
The following units are available to students who are currently completing postgraduate studies in Philosophy. These units are not suitable for undergraduates.
- Epistemology and Metaphysics (TB2) - PHILM0021
- History of Science (TB1) - PHILM0007
- Philosophy of Biology (TB1) - PHILM0006
- Philosophy of Mathematics (TB2) - PHILM0016
- Philosophy of Medicine (TB1) - PHILM0022
- Philosophy of Psychology (TB2) - PHILM0020
- Philosophy of Science (TB2) - PHILM0033
- Probability and Rationality (TB1) - PHILM0030
- Themes in Ethics (TB2) - PHILM0032
- Value Theory (TB1) - PHILM0026
Contact the Global Opportunities Team if you have any queries about the application process for the study abroad programmes:
Phone: +44 117 39 40207
Students cannot audit units. Study abroad students are fully registered on units for credit purposes and must attend teaching only for classes that they are registered on.