Aerospace Engineering study guide 2022/23
Aerospace Engineering at Bristol
Welcome to the Department of Aerospace Engineering.
The Department of Aerospace Engineering is part of the School of Civil, Aerospace, and Mechanical Engineering. It has been established for over fifty years and is a leading provider of aerospace research and teaching in the UK. The Department has excellent links with local industry: companies such as Airbus, BAe Systems, Westland Helicopters, Dowty and Rolls-Royce have a significant research and development presence in the Bristol area.
Many of the Aerospace Engineering units are taught across the academic year (known as 'TB4' units), which means they start in September and end in May/June. There are some single-semester classes, but we encourage students interested in this subject to consider studying with us for the full academic year (September–June) so they have more unit choices available to them.
Aerospace Engineering offers units across all undergraduate levels of study – Year 1 (Level C/4), Year 2 (Level I/5), and Year 3 (Level H/6) – and selected postgraduate units (Level M/7). Level M/7 units are normally taken by students who have studied the subject for at least 3 years beforehand and are at an appropriate level of study to take postgraduate units.
Unit codes in the School of Aerospace Engineering begin with 'AENG'. This is followed by a number indicating the year (1, 2, 3). For example:
- AENG10000 = year 1 unit
- AENG20000 = year 2 unit
- AENG30000 = year 3 unit.
For more information about each unit, check the University's unit catalogue for 2022/23. Applicants on all study abroad programmes must review the unit details on the catalogue before listing unit choices on their application form. This includes checking the format of assessment for each unit. The unit catalogue for 2022/23 is updated by April.
Your unit choices cannot be guaranteed. Some units may not have capacity to accommodate all of the unit requests we receive. Registration on a unit also depends on whether you meet the pre-requisite conditions through prior study at your home university.
Study Abroad (Subject pathway)
If you have been nominated to Bristol on the Study Abroad (Subject pathway), you are expected to take the majority of your credits in this department. You may select units from across the School of Civil, Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering should you be based with us for one semester and are encountering issues selecting units from just one department.
Research Project units
The Department of Aerospace Engineering allows Study Abroad students to take the following research project unit:
- Research Project 3 (TB4) - AENG30017
IMPORTANT: this unit is only available if a supervisor is agreed before arrival. Students interested in taking AENG30017 are advised to contact the Department about this by 1 September. This unit cannot be offered after arrival if supervision has not been preliminary agreed.
Units available on the study abroad programme in 2022/23
The following units from the School of Aerospace Engineering are open to incoming Study Abroad students.
Year 1 (level C/4)
- AVDASI 1: Fundamentals of Aerospace Engineering (TB2) - AENG10004
Year 2 (level I/5)
- Aerodynamics (TB4) - AENG21100
- Aerospace Dynamics (TB4) - AENG20008
- Space Systems (TB1) - AENG22300
- Structures and Materials 2 (TB4) - AENG21200
Year 3 (level H/6)
- Aircraft Propulsion (TB2) - AENG31102
- AVDASI 3 – Design Methods and Systems Engineering (TB4) - AENG30020
- Numerical and Simulation Methods for Aerodynamics (TB1) - AENG30018
- Research Project 3 (TB4) - AENG30017
- Sensors, Signals and Control (TB4) - AENG31300
- Structures and Materials 3 (TB4) - AENG31200
Year 4 (level M/7)
- Acoustics: Fundamentals and Applications (TB2) - AENGM0078
- Advanced Composites Analysis (TB2) - AENGM2200
- Advanced Space Systems (TB2) - AENGM2400
- Advanced Techniques in Multi-Disciplinary Design (TB2) - AENGM2005
- Aeroelasticity (TB2) - AENGM0069
- Aerospace Commerce, Operations and Ethics (TB2) - AENGM0070
- Aircraft Dynamics 4 (TB2) - AENGM1300
- Applied Numerical and Simulation Methods for Aerodynamics (TB2) - AENGM0065
- Composites Design & Manufacture (TB4) - AENGM0028
- Dynamics of Rotors (TB2) - AENGM0004
- Engineering Design for Renewable Energy Systems (TB4) - AENGM0076
- Nonlinear Structures and Structural Stability (TB2) - AENGM0057
Contact the Global Opportunities Team if you have any queries about the application process for the study abroad programmes:
Phone: +44 117 39 40207
Students cannot audit units. Study abroad students are fully registered on units for credit purposes and must attend teaching only for classes that they are registered on.