Accounting and Finance study guide 2023/24
Accounting and Finance at Bristol
We have a reputation for producing high-quality graduates with strong quantitative skills and a global outlook. Our industry relevant courses are accredited by professional accountancy bodies ICAEW, ACCA and CIMA and combine theoretical and technical education with an understanding of how to tackle the many questions and challenges faced by those working in finance today. We are rare among research-intensive UK universities in showing our commitment to teaching by establishing a distinct teaching-focussed (rather than research-active) career path for academics. This means that student learning comes first. We also pride ourselves in having small class sizes on most courses.
An international environment
We welcome talented international staff and students from over 120 countries across the world. This creates a vibrant and diverse study experience. We have partnerships with over 150 universities worlwide including universities in Europe, Hong Kong, Singapore, USA and Australia.
The school offers many classes that are based in a single semester, and can therefore accept unit requests from study abroad students who want to join Bristol for just the autumn or spring semester.
The school offers units across all undergraduate levels of study: year 1 (level C/4), year 2 (level I/5), and year 3 (level H/6) units. Postgraduate units are not available.
Unit codes in the School of Accounting and Finance begin with 'ACCG' or 'EFIM'. This is followed by a number indicating the year (1, 2, 3). For example:
- ACCG10000/EFIM10000 = year 1 unit
- ACCG20000/EFIM20000 = year 2 unit
- ACCG30000/EFIM30000 = year 3 unit.
For more information about each unit, check the University's unit catalogue for 2023/24. Applicants on all study abroad programmes must review the unit details on the catalogue before listing unit choices on their application form. This includes checking the format of assessment for each unit. The unit catalogue for 2023/24 is updated by April 2023.
Your unit choices cannot be guaranteed. Some units may not have capacity to accommodate all of the unit requests we receive. Registration on a unit also depends on whether you meet the pre-requisite conditions through prior study at your home university.
Study Abroad (Subject pathway)
If you have been nominated to Bristol on the Study Abroad (Subject pathway), you must take the majority of your credits in this school.
Units available on the study abroad programme in 2023/24
The following units from the School of Accounting and Finance are open to incoming Study Abroad students.
Year 1 (level C/4)
- Accounting and Finance for Managers (TB2) - EFIM10030
- Financial Markets, Institutions and Instruments (TB1) - EFIM10029
- Fundamentals of Accounting and Finance 1 (TB1) - EFIM10005
- Fundamentals of Accounting and Finance 2 (TB2) - EFIM10006
- Risk and Return (TB2) - EFIM10028
Year 2 (level I/5)
- Banking (TB2) - EFIM20032
- Financial Accounting (TB1) - EFIM20007
- Management Accounting (TB2) - ACCG20011
- Principles of Finance (TB1) - EFIM20044
- Strategic Finance (TB2) - EFIM20024
- Taxation (TB2) - EFIM20012
Year 3 (level H/6)
- Advanced Corporate Finance (TB2) - EFIM30020
- Advanced Financial Reporting (TB1) - EFIM30033
- Auditing (TB2) - EFIM30016
- Behavioural Finance (TB1) - EFIM30062
- Contemporary issues in corporate governance (TB2) - ACFI30001
- Derivatives (TB2) - EFIM30028
- Financial Crises (TB1) - EFIM30018
- Financial Markets (TB1) - EFIM30019
- Financial Statement Analysis (TB2) - ACFI30002
- Global problems and scandals in Accounting & Auditing (TB1) - EFIM30065
- International Finance (TB2) - EFIM30026
- Portfolio Management (TB2) - EFIM30021
Year 4 (level M/7)
Contact the Global Opportunities Team if you have any queries about the application process for the study abroad programmes:
Phone: +44 117 39 40207
Students cannot audit units. Study abroad students are fully registered on units for credit purposes and must attend teaching only for classes that they are registered on.