The HH Wills Memorial Building stands at 68 metres and is seen by many to symbolise the University of Bristol. Construction began in 1915, and after being interrupted during the First World War, was completed in 1925. The building is home to the School of Law, one of the largest in the UK, and the School of Earth Sciences, which has been refurbished with new research and teaching laboratories, lecture rooms and a workshop. Graduation ceremonies take place in the Great Hall in the Wills Memorial Building.
The Grade I listed Royal Fort Gardens are part of a large 18th-century estate that belonged to the Tyndall family. The gardens form the grounds of Royal Fort House, which was built between 1758 and 1761 in Baroque, Rococo and Palladian architectural styles, on the site of a Civil War fortification. The building is now the home of the University’s Institute for Advanced Studies.
The Bristol Centre for Nanoscience and Quantum Information hosts a multi- and interdisciplinary research community drawn from science, engineering and medicine. The vibration and acoustic noise levels in its specialised laboratories are among the lowest achieved anywhere in the world.
The Indoor Sports Centre facilities comprise the Pulse Gym, with state-of-the-art cardiovascular training and free weights areas; sports halls; dedicated rooms for exercise classes; and an indoor running track. Activities range from Pilates and spinning to football and water polo. Students have the opportunity to compete at national level through University sports teams or take part in more informal intramural sporting activities. There is also a 38-acre outdoor sports complex in Stoke Bishop, a 30-minute walk or a short bus ride from the University precinct, and a 33-metre swimming pool in the Students’ Union.
The Departments of Philosophy and Archaeology and Anthropology are housed in the former Baptist Theological College, with its magnificent stained-glass windows dating from the 15th century.
The University has ten branch libraries holding the largest academic collection of books and journals in the South West of England, as well as specialist and archive collections. The Arts and Social Sciences Library is the largest of the University libraries.
The School of Physics is housed in the HH Wills Physics Building. The building also contains some of the University’s largest lecture theatres, and students from other schools and departments have some of their lectures here. Construction began in the 1920s and the building was finally completed in the 1970s.
The Victoria Rooms houses a 700–seat concert hall, a recital room, five recording studios and nine practice rooms, and hosts a variety of lunchtime and evening concerts by students and staff for the general public. The building dates from 1842 and was first used by the University for its Students’ Union. It became the home of the Department of Music in 1996.
The Merchant Venturers School of Engineering is part of the Faculty of Engineering and houses the Departments of Computer Science, Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Engineering Mathematics. It opened in 1996 and its purpose-built facilities include a motion pod in which students test computer games. Many of our engineering students have been involved in designing new products that have been commercially developed through University spin-off companies.
The Faculty of Arts comprises three schools: the School of Arts, the School of Humanities, and the School of Modern Languages - each of which are split further into four or five departments, from Classics to Drama to Russian.
Many of the departments are housed in the Faculty's complex of Victorian villas lining Woodland Road, which have been converted to incorporate teaching and research facilities.
Bristol’s Students’ Union is one of the largest in the country. It is staffed by elected officers who represent the interests of all students, and is the social hub for the University’s numerous clubs and societies. The building houses bars, a theatre, dance and art studios, a café, a shop, and a live music venue called the Anson Rooms, which has hosted the likes of Snow Patrol, the White Stripes, Kate Nash and the Klaxons. The University’s 33-metre swimming pool is also located in the Union building.
Updated 29 November 2011 by the Public Relations Office
University of Bristol, Senate House, Tyndall Avenue, Bristol BS8 1TH, UK. Tel: +44 (0)117 928 9000