MSc Education (Mathematics Education)
Our education master's degrees give you the opportunity to design a tailored programme of study that suits your cultural and learning needs. You will be able to specialise and receive an award in a particular disciplinary area.
This pathway is designed for UK and international mathematics teachers and other professionals working in mathematics education, from primary schools to post-16 education. You will be supported in integrating the theory and practice of teaching and learning mathematics by:
- being an active researcher of your own and others' practice, including reworking your own practice;
- carrying out small-scale research projects, one of which can act as a pilot project for the major work of your dissertation;
- engaging with research literature, especially the current journals and activity of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education;
- engaging with new developments in teaching and learning mathematics;
- updating your mathematics knowledge;
- writing assignments that show the emergence of a theoretical frame, presenting a literature search and developing ideas from a seminar;
- becoming confident with presentation, argumentation, research and ICT skills.
The programme has been recognised as excellent by the National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics.
Our education master's degrees give you the opportunity to select a programme of study tailored towards your interests and learning needs. The range of degrees we offer means you will be able to specialise and receive an award in a particular discipline area.
Visit our programme catalogue for full details of the structure and unit content for our MSc in Education (Mathematics Education). Please note that this pathway consists of core units that all students on the pathway must take and a range of optional units that students can choose from, within availability or timetabling constraints.
Alternatively, you can design your own pathway by opting not to specialise and to take those units that fit with your availability. Units can be taken from across the different specialisms and from our bank of available optional units to build a tailored programme of study, resulting in an award of MSc Education.
An upper second-class undergraduate honours degree (or equivalent qualification) in a STEM-related discipline or related field such as Economics, Finance, Accounting etc. Non-traditional qualifications/routes will also be considered.
See international equivalent qualifications on the International Office website.
Read the programme admissions statement for important information on entry requirements, the application process and supporting documents required.
If English is not your first language, you will need to reach the requirements outlined in our profile level C.
Further information about English language requirements and profile levels.
Fees and funding
- UK: full-time
- £11,030 per year
- UK: part-time (two years)
- £5,515 per year
- UK: part-time (three years)
- £3,677 per year
- Overseas: full-time
- £25,200 per year
Fees are subject to an annual review. For programmes that last longer than one year, please budget for up to an 8% increase in fees each year.
More about tuition fees, living costs and financial support.
University of Bristol students and graduates can benefit from a 25% reduction in tuition fees for postgraduate study. Check your eligibility for an alumni discount.
Funding for 2023/24
Further information on funding for prospective UK and international postgraduate students.
We offer academic and personal development opportunities to equip you for the intellectual, social and personal challenges you will encounter during your career.
Our overarching goal is to enable our education graduates to display the following characteristics:
- equipped to demonstrate impact, excellence and distinctiveness in your chosen field;
- visionary, imaginative, innovative, reflective and creative;
- high ideals and values, including a strong sense of social justice;
- highly employable throughout the world;
- adaptable, with the potential to be a leader in work and in the community.
- Enquiries Team
- +44 (0) 117 394 1649