MSc Data Science
If you want to improve the world through the responsible use of data, the MSc in Data Science will give you the skills to do so. You will learn how to understand, in depth, the computational and statistical principles of modern data science and be skilled at the rigorous and ethical application of these techniques to real-world challenges.
Whether you have a background in numerate sciences, engineering, or computer science, the programme will provide you with the skills to succeed in this exciting and fast-moving discipline. It will equip you with excellent employment prospects to pursue roles in industry as either a data scientist or data engineer as well as for research and development roles.
This MSc aims to:
- Equip you with the ability to work across disciplinary boundaries in the effective application and deployment of data-intensive solutions in a variety of contexts.
- Give you a breadth and depth of knowledge and skills in computational, machine learning, and statistical principles and the capability for insightful large-scale data analysis, so you will be able to specify and implement analytical pipelines for real-world data at scale.
- Provide you with a good understanding of the ethical issues in the application of contemporary data science techniques to real-world challenges so you can be conversant with arguments concerning the risks and potential benefits and disadvantages arising from the deployment of these technologies.
- Enable you to independently initiate data science projects specified at a high-level perspective, leading them from scoping onward to completion, while exercising appropriate project management methods and maintaining stakeholder engagement.
The MSc in Data Science has been co-designed with industrial partners and is highly relevant to rewarding employment opportunities. There is a strong emphasis on responsible innovation and ethics to encourage you to use your knowledge and skills for societal good in the workplace or through further research. The course is closely associated with excellent research in the University, ensuring leading-edge teaching.
You will take either a unit in Software Development: Programming and Algorithms, or, if you already have software development skills, a unit in Statistical Computing.
The remainder of the MSc consists of the following units:
- Large-Scale Data Engineering
- Technology, Innovation, Business, and Society
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence
- Introduction to Data Analytics
- Advanced Data Analytics.
The final unit, a Data Science mini-project, is a group activity which will be aligned, wherever possible, with an external client.
To complete your studies, an individual research or implementation project can be chosen from a selection proposed by project supervisors. This unit provides experience in planning, running, documenting, and presenting a substantial piece of original work. This unit provides a substantial opportunity to integrate material from all taught units and demonstrate the breadth and depth of your learning on the MSc.
Visit our programme catalogue for full details of the structure and unit content for our MSc in Data Science.
Applicants must hold/achieve a minimum of an upper-second class honours degree (or international equivalent) in numerate science, computer science, or engineering.
See international equivalent qualifications on the International Office website.
Read the programme admissions statement for important information on entry requirements, the application process and supporting documents required.
If English is not your first language, you will need to reach the requirements outlined in our profile level C.
Further information about English language requirements and profile levels.
Fees and funding
- UK: full-time
- £16,400 per year
- Overseas: full-time
- £30,500 per year
Fees are subject to an annual review. For programmes that last longer than one year, please budget for up to an 8% increase in fees each year.
More about tuition fees, living costs and financial support.
University of Bristol students and graduates can benefit from a 25% reduction in tuition fees for postgraduate study. Check your eligibility for an alumni discount.
Funding for 2023/24
Further information on funding for prospective UK and international postgraduate students.
Graduates from this MSc will be keenly sought after in roles such as lead data scientists or lead data engineers, capable of critically evaluating and synthesising research literature, developing and deploying scalable data-processing systems, and communicating with others in their field and in other disciplines. Top graduates from this degree will be able to proactively advance the development of data science and related technologies.
- Enquiries Team
- +44 (0) 117 394 1649