Research Team Leaders
To be a really good research team leader is challenging; you need to be good at research, teaching, supervision, people management, resource management etc. – the list is endless! Hopefully some of the resources below will be of use, whether you are currently leading a research team or preparing for this role in the future.
- Navigating your academic career at Bristol. At the University of Bristol, we have academic pathways and academic role profiles. It is useful to have a look at these to see what skills and experience you need to acquire in order to progress. These will be similar to those that you will need whichever university you move to next. We are working on a tool to help you navigate these profiles and access more easily associated training and development.
- An appointment with a Career Coach could help you explore what you want to get out of your career and how you are going to achieve that.
- If you are new to this role, you may be interested in some of the case studies and other information on the Research Staff website.
Supervising Early career researchers
- Vitae, the national organisation championing the personal, professional and career development of researchers has a section of its website dedicated to those who supervise or manage researchers including pages on
* Supervising a Doctorate
* Managing Research Staff
Managing a team
Being a manager involves much more than leading the research in your group. The following resources are available to support you in this role:
- Staff Development runs training on a range of topics and can provide bespoke facilitation or training for your team.
If you are new to the U.K. you may be interested in looking at the information on the International Staff website, including a section on Adapting to Academic life in the U.K.
- RED can provide you with advice to support your research, including grant applications, research policy and commercialisation.
- The Education Support Unit’s website has information about teaching at the University.
- Human Resources.