PIL Insurance Guidance

In the patient information sheet for an interventional study, under the heading "What if Something Goes Wrong?", you should include information relating to complaints procedures and information relating to compensation.

The following wording describes the compensation arrangements as they would apply for research conducted either solely at UoB, or with NHS or other partners.

"In the event that something does go wrong and you are harmed during the research and this is due to someone's negligence then you may have grounds for a legal action for compensation against the responsible organisation, or the employer of the responsible individual, but you may have to pay your legal costs."

This brief statement should cover the majority of situations. If you're concerned that it won't apply for the specifics of your study, please contact research-governance@bristol.ac.uk to discuss.