On the day
Make sure you visit the exhibition to answer any questions you have about applying, find out about life at the University and talk to us about our student support services.
Document checklist - don't forget to bring...
- A printed copy of your booking letter - you will need this to gain entry to any talks you have booked. In addition, your booking letter contains a barcode which will be scanned to register your attendance. We cannot scan the barcode on a smartphone or tablet, so please print the letter and bring it with you. If you forget to bring your booking letter with you, visit the main registration point (map ref 33c) to get it reprinted. If you have amended your booking, please make sure you bring the latest version of the booking letter with you.
- Your booking letter for the parents/carers talk - if you have booked a place at this talk, you will have been sent a separate confirmation letter in the same email as your booking letter. Please also print this letter and bring it along on the day.
- The open day programme - please visit the programme page to download your copy.
When you arrive
You will need to register to let us know you're here - ideally when you arrive, or at any point during the day. You can do this at:
- Temple Meads train station (find one of our student stewards)
- The park and ride at Cribbs Causeway (find one of our student stewards)
- The main registration point on the lawn next to the School of Physics, Tyndall Avenue (map ref 33c)
- Any of the locations marked 'registration point' on the campus map.
Finding your way around
All our open day maps are available to download from the maps and travel page.
Please remember to allow at least 15 minutes to transfer between activities in the main University campus.
If you are planning to visit student residences, please see our visits to accommodation page for travel times and shuttle bus information.
There are a number of facilities across the University where you will be able to purchase food and drink.
- Main campus
- BBQ at The Hawthorns (weather dependent)
- City in our Garden
- Pop-up café outside the Hawthorns
- The Refectory at The Hawthorns
- The Terrace Bar at The Hawthorns
- Source Café at the Arts and Social Sciences Library
- Source Café at the Chemistry Building
- Source Café at the Medical Sciences Building
- Source Café at the Merchant Venturers Building (Engineering)
- Source Café at the Priory Road Complex (Social Sciences)
- Source Café at the Queens Building (Engineering)
- Source Café at Beacon House
- The Balloon café bar at the Richmond Building
- Clifton accommodation
- Pop-up café in Clifton Hill House dining room
- Stoke Bishop accommodation
- Source Café at the Hiatt Baker transport hub
- Langford campus
- The Langford Café
There are also numerous coffee bars and sandwich shops on St Michael’s Hill and Park Street.
- Wi-Fi - Free Wi-Fi access is available for open day visitors via '_The Cloud' wireless network. For full instructions see: wireless.bris.ac.uk/visitors/
- Luggage - Unfortunately we are unable to store luggage at any of the University buildings during the day
- Meeting point - The main registration point at the Enderby Room, School of Physics, provides a place to meet if you get separated from your party
- Rest area - There will be a rest area available at The Hawthorns on Woodland Road throughout the day
- Lost property - Lost property will be kept at the main registration point at the Enderby Room, School of Physics
- Toilets - Toilets are available in most University buildings; ask a student steward (in a blue T-shirt) for the nearest location
- Prayer facilities - Our prayer facilities for Muslim visitors (map ref 109) are open all day; the entrance is via 21 Woodland Road.
Safety and first aid
We want you to have a great day when you come and visit us. We are expecting the day to be extremely busy, so there are a few things we would like you to bear in mind.
- Most University buildings are on public roads which will be open to traffic as usual on the open day. Large numbers of visitors mean that pavements in certain areas can become very crowded; please take care when crossing roads.
- There will be first aiders in most University buildings as well as a designated first aid area in the ante-room at the Hawthorns on Woodland Road.
- In an emergency, contact the University's Security Services on 0117 331 1223.
- If you have any problems, staff at the main registration point will be happy to help.
- Members of staff will be available in all buildings that are open on the day, and our stewards will be able to help you.
- Please listen carefully to the stewards if there is a fire alarm.
If you have access requirements or impaired mobility, please let us know in advance to help us prepare, and please make yourself known to a member of staff in each of the University buildings you enter, so they can ensure you get any assistance you need.
Have questions on or before the open day?
Just tweet your questions to @ChooseBristolUG or use #bristolopenday
For security reasons, we are unable to store luggage at any University buildings during the day.
Booking for 2017 open days
Book now for our open day on Saturday 9 September 2017. Please note the booking form will close on Tuesday 5 September at 5pm.
Copies of the undergraduate prospectus will be available at the open day exhibition in the Wills Memorial Building.