Your subject librarian
Tel: +44 (0)117 331 1504 | Internal 11504
Contact me if you would like some advice. I can help you to:
Key subject resources
- Acland's Video Atlas of Human Anatomy - displays images of real, dissected human anatomical specimens, encompassing the upper limb, lower limb, trunk, head and neck, and internal organs.
Please note: two navigation tools, the index and the table of contents, give immediate access to specific content. Users will require an up to date version of Windows Media Player software to view the videos. Internet Explorer is the recommended web browser. Users of the Firefox or Chrome browsers may need to download the videos prior to playing them.
- Cochrane Library - Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews - systematic reviews of the effects of healthcare which includes the following databases: Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews,the Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effectiveness ( DARE), Cochrane Controlled Trials Register, Cochrane Review Methodology, Health Technology Assessment (HTA) Database, NHS Economic Evaluation Database (NHS EED)
- Embase - provides access to the bibliographic Excerpta medica database and covers approximately 3,500 international journals from 110 countries, with Data going back to 1980.
- Medline (on OvidSP) - covers the international literature on bioMedicine, including the allied health fields and the biological and physical sciences, humanities, and information science as they relate to Medicine and health care.
- PsycINFO - comprehensive international database (sometimes mistakenly known as PsychINFO) covering summaries of journal articles, book chapters, technical reports and citations to dissertations in the field of Psychology and psychological aspects of related disciplines.
- Web of Science: Core Collection - databases available within the Web of Science Core Collection: Science Citation Index (1900-, with 1900-1945 limited to c.250 core journals); Social sciences Citation Index (1956-); Arts and Humanities Citation Index (1975-); Arts and Humanities Citation Index (1975-); Conference Proceedings Citation Index - Science (1990-); Conference Proceedings Citation Index - Social Science & Humanities (1990-)
Skills and training
Your Subject Librarian will provide a programme of lectures and training on library and information skills, in consultation with your department or school.
A number of guides to searching key databases are available on Blackboard. Your Subject Librarian is also able to give help and advice about individual databases and searching in general.
- Study support
- Library video tutorials - topics include: how to locate books and journals; understanding references on reading lists.
- Finding and using information - covering key aspects of information skills, including: researching a topic; effective use of Google; evaluating your search results; avoiding plagiarism.
- Referencing using EndNote
If there is a book you would like us to buy, please fill out the form.